I made these beautiful heart-shaped biscuits this morning! Aaron's 8:00 AM class was cancelled this morning, soooo.... we slept in for an extra hour and woke up to beautiful, fresh snow everywhere! Lately the cold weather and snow have really been getting to me...I've never been diagnosed, but I'm pretty confident that I have a mild case of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)! This morning, however, I was all smiles! I couldn't figure out why, but I just took advantage of it and made biscuits with my heart-shaped cookie cutter (in honor of Valentine's Day coming up)! They were incredible as always. Special ingredient?......sour cream!!! So this morning was a fun one, but hopefully the snow melts and it warms up soon! :)
Here is the recipe for the biscuits:
1 egg, well beaten
1 cup sour cream
1 Tbs. sugar
1/4 cup shortening
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 8"x8" baking pan (or use cookie sheet and place biscuits 2" apart for a more crisp crust)
2. In a mixing bowl, beat egg with a fork. Mix in sour cream, sugar, and shortening.
3. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add gradually to egg mixture. Mix well. Dough will be sticky.
4. Sprinkle a little flour over dough and scoop onto a well-floured board. Handle dough gently.
5. Flour hands and quickly knead dough 4 strokes to form into a ball. Place smooth side up and sprinkle top lightly with flour.
6. Roll gently 3/4" to 1" thickness. Cut with 2 1/2" biscuit cutter, dipping cutter in flour with each cut. Place in prepared pan.
7. Bake 15 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.
Makes 8 biscuits