i can't believe it took me 12 days into february to make a food that is heart-shaped, but yesterday was finally the day. i made heart-shaped biscuits and scrambled eggs for breakfast. it was always a special treat when my mom made us biscuits & eggs for breakfast growing up, and to this day i'm convinced that there's nothing better than fresh biscuits out of the oven drizzled/drenched with honey. anyone tired of me mentioning honey in every other post yet? ;)
i've been using this biscuit recipe ever since we got married and we love love love it. it originally called for shortening, but i've modified it to just use butter. such a delicious recipe and works every time. so just in case you didn't have any plans for your valentine's day breakfast yet, here you go!....
WHITNEY'S BUTTER BISCUITS
1 egg, well beaten
1 cup sour cream (the secret ingredient!)
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups flour (white, wheat, or a combination of both)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1. preheat oven to 400 degrees. grease 8x8-inch baking dish.
2. in a mixing bowl, beat egg with a fork and mix in sour cream, sugar, and butter.
3. in another bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. add gradually to egg mixture. mix well. (dough will be sticky)
4. sprinkle a little flour over dough and scoop out onto a well-floured surface.
5. flour hands and quickly knead dough 4 strokes to form into a ball. place smooth side up, sprinkle top lightly with flour.
6. roll out gently to 3/4" or 1" thickness. cut with biscuit cutter (dip cutter in flour with each cut, if needed).
7. bake 15 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown. makes about 8-10 biscuits (depending on the size of your biscuits). serve with scrambled eggs. :)